Thursday, November 5, 2009

My Best/Worst Sports Rooting Moments

The World Series victory by the New York Yankees was a wonderful reminder of why I'm a sports fan - and the absolute joy it can bring you. But - as we well know - it can also bring immense grief, and there's often more of that, since one's team is not likely to win a World Championship every year. So here's my list of my top three most joyous - and most upsetting - sports rooting events. I'd love to hear yours.

Best:

1-Rangers win the Stanley Cup (1994)

As a lifelong Ranger fan and longtime season ticket holder, I was lucky enough to be in attendance when the Rangers broke a 54-year empty spell and captured the Stanley Cup by beating Vancouver 3-2 in game 7. I'll never forget the ecstasy that filled the Garden when the buzzer sounded and the fireworks exploded - nor when Mark Messier lifted the Stanley Cup over his head. Still brings tears to my eyes when I see it.

2-Jets win Super Bowl III (1969)

I was the only kid in 7th grade who KNEW the Jets would win. After all, Joe Namath had guaranteed it. I watched in delight on our TV set as the Jets beat the Colts 16-7, and radio announcer Merle Harmon proclaimed "The Jets are champions of the football world!". Yes, I was one of those people who watched the TV with the sound down because I liked the radio play-by-play better. You can't do that now because they won't be in sync!

3-Knicks win game 7 of 1970 finals

The game when Willis Reed limped onto the court. I was SO nervous before the game I could barely watch. Then Willis hit his first two shots and the outcome was never in doubt. Marv Albert's call was thrilling. (Yes, I again was watching the TV with the sound down).

Honorable mention: any of the Yankees championships during my lifetime, especially 1977 (Reggie) and 1996 (ending the 18-year drought).

Worst:

1-Rangers lose 5th and deciding game to the Islanders (1984)

The blown opportunity of a lifetime. Rangers battled the 4-time Stanley Cup champ Islanders to a 5th game. They were behind with 30 seconds to go when Don Maloney tied the game to force overtime. (Yes, he did it with a high stick, but let's forget that ..) There was our chance to be the team that ended the Islanders reign as champs. It was RIGHT there. Ken Morrow ended that dream in OT, and when the puck went in, I screamed "Nooooooooooooooooooooo!". It hurts just to retell the story.

2-Jets lead Cleveland by 10 with two minutes to go in playoffs, but lose. (1986)

Mark Gastineau gets called for roughing the passer on 3rd and 25. I've hated him ever since. This one hurt. Badly. They would have gone to the championship game.

3-Yankees blow game 7 of the World Series to Arizona in 9th inning. (2001).

This one hurt the most because Mo Rivera - my favorite Yankee of all time - was on the mound. He broke three bats in the 9th inning, but lost primarily because of his own throwing error on what should have been a double play ball. Also because they won three thrilling games in New York and went back to Arizona leading 3-2.

Dishonorable mention: the 2004 ALCS. Hard to get over that one, but that agony was spread over several games.

1 comment:

Wessays (tm) said...

Twas a sweet victory, inaugurating the new park. I share some of your bests but, natch, have a reverse view of "worst" #1